Yesterday at 1:30 Andrew had his appointment with Dr. Araujo at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in the Sarcoma Department. Below is a summary of the results.
- The diagnosis of Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Tumors was confirmed.
- A treatment plan was recommended. It is a 21 day cycle that consists of 4 days of treatment and 17 days of rest.
- The treatment involves a very high powered chemotherapy. Radiation and surgery are not recommended at this time.
- Treatment involves 3 drugs, all of which will be administered through a catheder inserted just below his collar bone: 1) Ifosfamide - this is given on the first day of the cycle 2)Doxorubicin: this is given over a 72 hour period starting the first day of the cycle and ending on the third. 3)Vincristine: this will be given over a 3 hour period each of the four days of the cycle. Then 17 days of rest, and it starts all over again. Dr. Araujo, recommends that Andrew be in Houston for the first 25 days, this will allow him to receive his 1st full cycle, and the 4 day treatment portion of his second cycle.
- Side effects include: hair loss, nausea, fatigue, numbness in the hands and feet, cramping, bleeding bladder, low white blood cell count, decreased kidney function & low potassium levels. The levels of chemo are very high compared to other treatments, due to the fact that this cancer type (sarcoma) only responds to intense chemo. The doctor can regulate the dosages and add other drugs to help with all of the side effects and only time will tell which ones will affect Andrew.
Andrew is taking the next few days to digest this information and formulate a plan. This is a lot to take in at this time. On one hand it is great to have a path to proceed down, and a vision as to how Andrew will beat this disease. On the other hand it is very, very difficult to grasp the enormity of what Andrew has in front of him. In the next couple of days a plan will be formulated that will include where treatment will be done, what time it will start, and also, how all of you great supporters can help Andrew. Please pray for wisdom during this time, so that the best decision for Andrew is made. Thank you for all of the support, donations, and prayers - it means a lot to Andrew and our entire family. When the final plan is decided, I will post all of the details, until then understand that Andrew is carefully weighing all of his options.