Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Some thoughts from Andrew...

To the best support team any human could have,

Well guys, I officially started all the fun this morning at 8am central time! I have to start off by saying that the Texas Med Center is enormous. You can have appointments in different buildings that are blocks away from where you are currently having an appointment and you have to hurry along like you're in college again and you stayed too long at your favorite hangout before class! When in a hurry you take trams, or golf carts. My Mom and I prefer the golf cart treatment, it makes us feel big time! haha....The day started off by getting my port put in where the drugs will be administered during the four day cycle. Very easy process, pain free, they made it easy on me with a few loopy pills! Besides that it went very smooth. Then it was on to get my first day of my first cycle of the chemo (Round 1 day 1) I stayed in the hospital about 5 hours, receiving all three chemo drugs today. I will go back Wed, Thu, and Fri for those 5 hours. Saturday I get a shot then I am done with Round 1. I am currently receiving chemo as I type this, its very cool. I have a backpack that has 1 of the chemo drugs, and a bag of fluids in them-so this is a partial outpatient process which is cool to get to home every night and get "mama's cookin." I will have this backpack with me every day until I return for my shot on Saturday. I feel really good today, actually better then I felt in a long time. I was laying there today thinking about god, my incredible family, my great friends everywhere, work, sports, jokes, teased my mom a little bit to get her laughing .....I was in the the right state of mind to start this process today. The chemo takes a few days to "kick in" and by days 7,8,9 is when I may not feel as well. Every single person who has sent cards, emailed, text, phoned, blogged, visited, facebook'd (ok I promise to get a facebook account in the next 48 hours! haha) gets me so excited and energized....The amount of prayers is unbelievable....One day at a time, but today was a GREAT first day!

Andrew


And now on to some business...

** Many of you have been asking how you can donate other than paypal. A benevolent account with Bank of America has been opened for Andrew. Please stop by your local Bank of America branch and ask to make a donation to The Andrew Moritz Medical Fund. The teller will be able to look up his account for you. You may also make a check out to The Andrew Moritz Medical Fund and mail it to me and I will deposit it. Please email me for my address if this is your preferred method. PLEASE let me know if you encounter any problems or have any questions.

** Many of you have also been asking, "how can I help???". We really appreciate every one's concern and at times have felt at a loss as to what to say to you. I talked in length to Andrew tonight and he mentioned that he enjoyed listening to his iPod while sitting for his 3 hour chemo session. It occurred to me that he would appreciate some iTunes gift cards so he can add more music and movies. Just an idea for those of you who want to help out.

I will leave you with this picture that a banking friend of Andrews sent to me. Don't ask me about it, because I have no clue!!! Just know that Andrew is the guy in red. I'm sure all you US Bank people have a funny story to go along with the picture!


9 comments:

Jonathan Diehl said...

Ah yes, the original clown in the ''Captain Shield'' suit! As Andrew's understudy that day, I learned everything I know about being a corporate mascot, which helped when I donned the cape and Mickey Mouse gloves and Bozo shoes the following week. Haaaa!

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew -- I work with your sister Rachel. I am sending you "positive juju" and lots of luck. :)
~patricia

Anonymous said...

Rachel/Elizabeth, do you still need help selling wrist bands? I hadnn't heard anything since the posting below. Would love to help.
Michael.Erickson@Providence.org

- mike aka Snoqueeeeeze (as Drewskie would say)

Anonymous said...

What a great picture of the Ring Leader and his 3 "Circus" mates. Its not the same Carnival/Circus without you big guy!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Andrew....Jimmy Clark's mom here....just wanted you to know we are thinking of you and have you on a bunch of family prayer chains...that is a direct line to the BIG GUY!...you hang in there...just take it one step at a time....we want to see you next year for the big Fantasy Football party on our deck!!! Let us know if you are craving anything special from St. L. and we'll send it down...we are thinking good, positive things!!! Love, Chris and Bill Clark

Anonymous said...

Hey Andrew! Keep fighting the good fight bro! You are in my family's thoughts and prayers everyday. By the way, you've created a workout monster here in STL! We miss you in the 'Field! Talk to you soon man.

J Fink

Anonymous said...

Hey bro, good job, keep it up. Jason Bourne called, he said he wanted some passports back?? I told him he would have to come and get them. Well, I better get back to sharpening my samurai, and throwing star practice, you never know when you might need to choke out a ninja

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew,

This note is from the Wilkerson Family; Sirelle, Arnell and JJ Wilkerson. Sure you remember Sirelle - she played basketball same time as you. Prayers already going up from our house to you and your family for positive spirits and healing and strength in this challenging time. Know that nothing is too hard for God. Stay positive and get a lot of laughs. Laughing is good medicine for everybody. Much Love, The Wilkersons

Anonymous said...

That guy on the left looks super successful, and charming too.